The course aims to equip students with advanced methodological and analytical competencies to handle complex health system data and make value and evidence based decisions.
The emphasis of this course is on:
• Application of the core principles of public health
• Identification of appropriate study designs in the development of epidemiological studies
• The critical appraisal of quality of evidence from epidemiological studies
• Methods of epidemiological and statistical analyses
• Disease surveillance and infectious disease outbreak investigations
The MEp course is comparable with MEp courses run elsewhere within the continent and internationally. Graduates with the MEp degree are in an ideal position to use this professional qualification in medical research, public health, field-based scientific research, government institutions, academic institutions, Nongovernmental Organizations (NGOs), or international agencies.
Candidates are eligible to be considered for admission to the College of Medicine, Masters in Epidemiology program (MEp) if they have obtained the following:
1. Either a first degree in a relevant subject (e.g. medicine, nursing, social sciences, psychology, environmental health) from any accredited university
2. Or equivalent qualifications approved by the University.
Calls for applications for masters’ students are advertised all-year round on the university’s website, http://www.kuhes.ac.mw Applications are made through a postgraduate application form downloadable from the website and submitted to the office of the Assistant Registrar.
Applications are advertised twice a year.
For more information, visit the Central registry. Potential candidates may be invited for oral interviews.
Applications for this postgraduate programme should include:
1. A completed postgraduate application form.
2. Sealed academic transcripts
3. Authenticated copies of academic certificates (by a lawyer, magistrate, or registrar of the awarding institution)
4. Authenticated copies of professional registration certificates where applicable
5. Letter of release from employers (if employed)
6. Reference letters (one academic and one professional)
A non-refundable application fee of MK10000.00 for Malawians and $30.00 for non-Malawians. Payment should be made to:
KUHeS POSTGRADUATE POOL NATIONAL BANK OF MALAWI CHICHIRI BRANCH ACCOUNT NUMBER: 698881 CURRENT ACCOUNT
Application forms that do not meet the requirements stated above will not be processed. Completed application should be sent:
The Registrar, Kamuzu University of Health Sciences College of Medicine Private Bag 360 Chichiri Blantyre 3, Malawi Attention: Assistant Registrar (Academic) Tel: + 265 (0) 1 874 107, Fax +265 (0) 1 874 700 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Copy: email@example.com.
Non-Malawians (SADC): $6,000
Non-Malawians (non-SADC): $8,000
Highly competitive funding and scholarship opportunities are available on merit basis. For more information about funding and scholarships for Masters students, contact the Scholarships office on firstname.lastname@example.org